Tuesday 29 May 2012

My journey to vegetables.

 When I asked my flatmate what was for dinner he replied "vege pie". I found myself already making a plan B for dinner. But I though suck it up this is what you want. You see I have never been a fan of vegetables. I would hide my peas under my plate, feed the broccoli to the dog and would utterly refuse to eat them, even if it meant not leaving the table or missing out on dessert. My poor parents, they did try. A year or two ago I realised it was time to grow up and join the adult world of eating what was on my plate. So I began my journey forcing myself to eat one vegetable at a time.
 I started with lettuce, and mouthful upon mouthful it stopped tasting like a leaf and more like a staple part of my diet. After this spinach, pumpkin, carrot, corn and even peas (I use to be sick at the sight of them) all become a part of my diet and I managed to keep it all down.
 If I am being totally honest I dont feel any healthier or like my body is thanking me. I am sure it is and the benefits will hopefully ensure I live a long and healthy life. My main reason for sucking it up was so I can make my kids eat them, when ever they may come. I am not a fan of being a hypocrite so I new I better start now since this journey is only just beginning.
I do like that I am a much easier dinner guest now. 



So at the end of this meal I gave myself a mental pat on the back and remembered how far I have come. Maybe I am not the best and still make people shake their heads when I say no thank you, but for me this is an accomplishment worth being proud of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment